Teaching primary biology: body processes NE009 / B21
Online, self-paced course. Participants can join and start this course at any time after the advertised date. Teach primary science effectively by developing your subject knowledge and confidence in science topics. This course will examine key subject knowledge within the biology elements of the primary science curriculum, focusing on the topic of living processes. This includes the heart, the circulatory system and digestion. Through the course, we will demonstrate common misconceptions children may have and show how to identify and overcome them.
Who is it for?
What topics are covered?
- why good subject knowledge is essential when teaching primary science.
- developing subject knowledge for the biology content of the primary science curriculum.
- understanding children’s misconceptions and identifying teaching strategies to identify and overcome them.
- subject knowledge to teach living processes, including: the heart, circulatory system and digestion.
How will you learn?
How long is this course?
Who is the course leader?
• Sarah Dagnell
• Karen Brunyee
• Rachel Jackson
- identify the importance of good subject knowledge when teaching primary science
- develop personal subject knowledge of living processes to teach this topic as part of the biology primary science curriculum
- apply subject knowledge of biology to class teaching of pupils aged 5-11 years old
- explore practical activities to teach scientific concepts in the primary curriculum
- identify common misconceptions children may have in primary science concepts
- develop teaching strategies to identify and overcome children’s misconceptions
|Teaching primary science: digestion and circulation||03 January 2022||00:00-00:00|
In addition to STEM Learning Terms and Conditions, by booking on this course you are consenting to FutureLearn’s Terms and Conditions for Invited Learners. By booking onto this course, you agree that your information will be held by FutureLearn and National STEM Learning Centre as data controllers in common, and that by joining the course on FutureLearn your progress will be monitored by STEM Learning.
|State-funded school or college||Activity fee£42.00 +VAT||Standard bursary available*£0.00|
|Fee-paying school or college (independent)||Activity fee£54.00 +VAT|
* Your school or college will receive the bursary on successful completion of the CPD and impact toolkit. Find out more.
Check your School bursary status
The bursary value may be higher for your school or college.
Find out how our Online CPD works and how to make the most of your online professional development.
Interested in this course?
Sign up to receive our emails to hear about the latest CPD available